- 350g self raising flour, plus more for dusting
- ¼ tsp salt
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 85g butter, cut into cubes
- 3 tbsp caster sugar
- 175ml milk
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- squeeze lemon juice
- beaten egg, to glaze
- Heat oven to 220C-Fan 200C
- Tip the self raising flour into a large bowl with the salt and add the baking powder, then mix.
- Add the butter cubes, then rub in with your fingers until the mix looks like fine crumbs then stir in the caster sugar.
- Put the milk into a jug and heat in the microwave for about 30 secs until warm, but not hot.
- Add 1 tsp vanilla extract and a squeeze of lemon juice, then set aside for a moment.
- Put a baking sheet in the oven.
- Make a well in the dry mix, then add the liquid and combine it with a knife.
- Scatter some flour onto the counter and tip the dough out. Knead the dough and your hands with a little more flour, then fold the dough over 2-3 times until it’s a little smoother. Pat into a circle about 4cm deep.
- Take a 5cm cutter and dip it into some flour. Plunge into the dough, then repeat until you have four scones.
- Press what’s left of the dough back into a round to cut out as much scones as you can.
- Wipe flour onto the bottom of the scones to avoid sticking and then carefully place onto the hot baking tray and brush with the egg.
- Bake for about 10-12 mins until risen and golden on the top.
The scones are really tasty when they are still warm with butter and jam!